Monday, April 7, 2008

A lot to say about Thing 4, apparently.

I looked at Picasa, since Library Guy likes it so well. I also saw other good comments on review sites, including someone who said he wasn't going to be using Flickr because he's already "married to Picasa."

One look made my decision for me. I hadn't realized it's not just an online sharing service, it's a download. "When you install Picasa, it instantly goes to work, organizing all the pictures on your hard drive by date in the "Folders on Disk" collection."

I think NOT. That's all I need is for Picasa to go in and "organize" my 16,000 plus photos.

I know that's how many I've got because Absolute Evil Incarnate, aka Photoshop Elements Organizer, told me so . . while it was doing the same thing. I bet you can imagine how long the thing takes to populate 16,000 thumbnails every time you open the Organizer. There's a way to 'hide' them, but they still open even though you can't see them.

[It took me a whole weekend to put a couple thousand photos from Yellowstone into albums. That was before I realized it was way more work than it was worth, and that viewing 15 RAW files will freeze the thing up. It's a known glitch, but instructions for *possibly* fixing it take up two pages of fine print.]

Anyway, now I know why the guy is married to Picasa. A divorce would pretty much ruin his photography career.

2 comments:

Carolnb said...

I'm still giggling over this post.

Karen said...

Thanks, hon! It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to amused. :)