Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thing 9

I use GoogleDocs and I think it's great. There is a stack of documents in my account. However, the "23 Things" version of editing a document totally bonked me.

"In this Thing, edit a famous document using these two collaboration tools. Both are free. You don’t need an account to edit these public documents. . . . Look at this public document in Google Docs. Make as many edits and changes to the documents as you wish, using the various editing tools available."

I clicked on that link without signing in to GoogleDocs, since they say you don't need an account, and got the document to look at. Fine, great. Except . . . I can look at the document all I want, but I don't have a task bar, and thus no way to edit it. That part makes no sense. When I tried to get at it through my GoogleDocs account, a page came up saying I need permission, and to request access.

Make up thy mind, 23.

ETA: Okay, upon Rachel's suggestion, I read the user questions. :) I do need both an account and permission to edit the GoogleDocs one. The Zoho version has a few interesting edits, and several commenters trying to figure out how to get into it, but it certainly isn't as pretty -- how does the person being edited know where the edits are? This would be a serious problem in a document any longer. I've put edits into documents of 200 pages on GoogleDocs and they are usefully obvious.

What Would The F.F. Do?

The Founding Fathers' heads would explode. They didn't want anything to do with rabble like us, much less female rabble.

1 comment:

Carolnb said...

There's nothing wrong with female rabble. The founding fathers need to get more up to date.