Friday, November 20, 2009

Thing 38: Screencasting

"How Scholarly Search Engines Differ"

I'd have to watch this presentation several times to get all the information, as it went so fast -- except I don't want to. Watching the cursor move when it wasn't under my own control -- and therefore ignored, as such, except for the endpoint -- nauseated me. I knew I had problems with motion sickness, but this is ridiculous.

Most of the MoreThings links were broken or the articles/videos/screencasts used formats I can't access on my work computer. Yes, I have at various times asked IT to update my computer. Newer versions of Java, Flash, and who knows what else don't work for me. "A Quick Guide to Screencasting for Libraries" helped. The Smashing Magazine display in my IE6 (unless it's supposed to look like that) was amusing and annoying with its one-word-per-line on the left side of the screen.

I tried to watch examples on ScreenToaster, but maybe you have to be logged in to see any of them?

I can see how screencasting could be very useful if incorporated into the library's catalog, especially with the new and exciting AquaBrowser.

No comments: