Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thing 42: Online TV/Movies

The annoying thing about websites that put up tv shows is that they seldom include the first episodes of a series. I wouldn't be buying dvds of a show if I haven't even seen the first episode. I do notice that Hulu put up the pilot of "Chuck," but Castle only has recent episodes, Eastwick has only clips (although ABC has episodes on its own website). Star Trek TOS has all of Seasons 2 & 3, using a link to CBS. I'm mystified; why not S1?

Penguins vs. Panthers: wonder what a "condensed game" to the tune of 20 minutes is? OTOH, it could be the entirety of the action these days!

If there's something I've missed on tv, I usually go to the network website. Mostly I don't, because the couch is more comfy than my computer desk chair. Maybe I'll do this when I learn how to hook up the laptop to watch Hulu programs on tv -- there's a reason I bought a 32" television, after all. And that's going to happen some time after I learn how to program the dvr to record the same show every week . . .

3. Create a login and set up a queue of items for viewing at a later date.

Yeah, right. I sure will if I ever feel the need for MORE tv.

3. What do you think the impact of free Internet video entertainment will be on broadcast or cable TV?

Almost none, unless netbooks become ubiquitous (likely) and wifi conections get good enough to watch streaming video in such huge files (not holding my breath). People want to see their favorite shows in order, as soon as possible. I do know people who dl their faves from itunes for money, and loads of people who dl tv from the internets.

2 comments:

Carolnb said...

Who has time to watch internet tv? If I miss it, I try for the dvd set at the library, or I miss it. Re-runs generally happen.

Karen said...

Good point. I couldn't agree more!