Saturday, October 18, 2008

Thing 16

The Assignment Calculator is absolute genius! Imagine having someone hold your hand through every possible aspect of a research paper! Jeez, when I had to walk three ten miles to school through the snow uphill both ways, we had to use freakin' ESP to determine what to do with research papers. If you weren't a good writer already (or good at slinging bull), you were in for some trouble, because I don't remember an English class in my high school that went through the process in detail. All I remember is index cards.

English 102 certainly didn't. I didn't have to take 101, but I doubt it was research oriented.

Then again, it was a completely different process when dinosaurs roamed the planet, and my little rural K-12 didn't have much in the line of sources anyway.

I'm not so sure a lot of Youth 2.0 is going to use this. I've heard from teachers that the students can't even grasp the concept of citations. Why do that? Information about everything is free and free-floating! Look, there it is on the internets!

But if they did, the papers would be worth reading.

I can't see much use in my work life for it, although if I were ever to write a subject pathfinder, the Research Quickstart is awesome! I notice that the one for Alternative Medicine refers to nothing that would cover the social implications involved with or history of alternative medicine use.

No comments: