Saturday, October 18, 2008

Thing 17 ELM

The ELM productivity tools RSS feed sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. I actually drug myself through the entire explanation of why, but the "mixed results" made me roll my eyes.

I made the html file on Academic Premier, but the photo doesn't show up in it when I open the file from the jump drive. I suspect I would see it if this .html file were actually posted on the web. It's certainly more secure to keep photos you're using in a webpage on the same server rather than assume the web-based photo will always be there. Saving the picture file onto my jump drive would have solved the problem if only I could go back into "edit web page" and edit the location. (Obviously my jump drive is not going to reach out into the internets and pick up this picture.) I can't; the editor won't let me edit anything.

I emailed an html file of documents from ProQuest to myself and Rachel, then saved it to my flash drive. Still don't know why an html.doc. Is there some reason why people without elaborate means (paid server space, Dreamweaver, etc.) to make their own webpages would be using this feature? Services that offer free web space often come with page creators. I won't even ask why somebody would want to put the results of their ProQuest searches up on a webpage.

I can't watch the video instruction for clues to these mysteries, as neither the upstairs ref pc or mine downstairs seem to have quicktime.

NetLibrary is obviously bonked right now.

No comments: