Friday, May 8, 2009

Thing 28

I ws completely baffled by the whole concept of Customized Home Pages until I realized it was just another way to compile RSS feeds and all the various other minutiae of online babble.

I was disappointed that Flickr dropped their photo editing segment and farmed it out to picnik, so I wouldn't use them even if I didn't already pay another service to archive and print my photos. I despise Facebook and its one-liners, but I can see where it would be handy if you don't already have an online community that you belong to based on interests alone. (If I wanted to talk to my high school/college classmates, they'd still be my friends. Some of them are.) I don't read my RSS feeds.

The upshot is, I don't have much to compile.

I tried to use My Yahoo before, but I hate the way it's laid out.

I can see where iGoogle or Netvibes could be genuinely useful for the "2.0 textbook" information collection. If there were something or a bunch of things I genuinely wanted the newest information on every day or every week, it would be a great collected source. Valenza's pagecast is pretty awesome. The tabbed pages-layout is extremely cool.

No comments: